Tuesday, May 27, 2008

30,000 bees and the training documentation

I recently installed 30,000 bees into two hives. About 3 pounds of bees per hive. I wasn't stung once.

A week later I went to back to check on the hives--one colony was a little smaller, not quite 3 pounds, so I wanted to make sure the queen was alive and well and reigning over her brood. I took apart the hive boxes, found the queen in one frame and again, I wasn't stung. Such friendly bees.




But it’s intimidating when you first open the box and see a frame covered in bees.




You take a deep breath and gather your courage because they can smell the adrenaline coursing through your veins behind that beekeeper's veil.


I'm trying to figure out some potential training material. I feel like 60 pounds of bees have arrived on my desk. The PDFs look the same but the reigning messages are different. We have the marketing bee, the motivating bee, the suddenly-so-much-advanced-programming-detail bee. QJulia set bee-- that one took a lot of royal jelly to rear into a queen. I've just spotted the reductions bee and the familiar Control-flow bee. Okay, this is a messy hive.


I'm now thinking that the new user guide table of contents should be used to rear new queens. Let’s turn those topics into slides with voice over. Yes, we can reuse some of the slides from the PDFs but we’ll disinfect them first like old bee equipment. The user guide table of contents has the makings of a fully-functioning hive. No one wants to get stung. My work is done here.

No comments: